Our bodies are perfect machines, performing thousands of processes every minute while we are reading, for example, this article. And we don’t even know about the majority of them.
Bright Side collected a few unbelievable facts about our bodies that will definitely surprise you.
- Newborns don’t have kneecaps. They exist at first as soft cartilage tissue that becomes hard only by the age of 3.
- The cornea is the only part of the human body that gets oxygen not from blood but straight from the air.
- It’s impossible to laugh if you try to tickle yourself. Your cerebellum would send signals to ignore the irritation to other parts of your brain.
- The human brain uses 20% of the oxygen and 50% of the glucose that enters the body. It also spends a 20% share of the total amount of energy. By the way, the famous theory that claims we use only 10% of our brain is nothing but a myth: in fact, we use all the parts of our brain, and they are active practically all the time.
- “Snow blindness” is a condition where a person is unable to see because of bright light.